Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Les Poissons, Les Poissons, oh J'adore Les Poissons!

Friday night, Student Impact (JCCC's College Ministry) put on a big party at a banquet hall a little past Mitaka. All the Project Teams and all the STInters and all the staff had invited a bunch of students from all the campuses to come out for a night of food, games, and DISCOVERING FRIENDS (the name of the party). Not a blatant outreach- we just got to know a lot of students from different campuses, and started developing relationships with them. It was a blast! Our team put on a huge game of Signs which they seemed to love. Some pictures...



Saturday morning (even though I'd gotten to bed really really late), we met in front of the apartment building at 4 o'clock to go to the Tsutsuki Fish Market! Well... Maria and I met in front of the apt building at 4 o'clock. Some others needed some persuading ::cough:: Chad ::cough:: But eventually, nine of us were up and ready to go around 445. It wasn't even dark! It was so weird! I didn't know what 4AM looked like during the summer... See how gloriously awake we looked?? :-D




Especially Chad...



So we get on the train, get to our stop and start our twenty minute walk to the market. I saw a clock, and realized how ridiculous it was that I'd already been traveling for about an hour and the time on the clock was AM!



Once we got to the spot, we had a little trouble finding exactly where to go but eventually we found it. IT WAS AMAZING! Some samples (Warning: These images may be too disturbing for some audiences... they were for some members of the team who may or may not have gone quite pale... the poor things)




WHALE!





On the way back, we stopped at Denny's and had a wonderful American breakfast. My Caramel Pecan Pancakes A La Mode were FANTASTIC!!!



Saturday afternoon, (after a nap, of course- though mine was very short due to a SKYPE conversation with my buddy Steve and his parents and his dog Lance) most of us went out to Asakusa to do some souvenir shopping and some sightseeing. Chad, Heather, David and I fell behind due to money exchange difficulties, and so we pretty much did Asakusa as just the four of us. But we were all VERY tired. Chad shopped like mad and Heather and I kinda moped. Bought nothing but had great chats! The shrine/temple there was uber cool!



But definitely sad considering they replace our LORD with this stuff... Seeing the people throwing in money and saying their prayers to gods they probably don't even know names of made me kinda sad...




I got to give a KGP booklet to a candy vendor... I dunno how I feel about that. I'm usually so againt such types of evangelism, but really, in a place like Japan, it's SO urgent. No one talks about God, most Westerners who live there don't love God, and VERY few people (us included) are there to talk to them about His perfect Love. My heart just broke for the people and I HAD to give this girl a booklet... All I can do now is pray.

That night, Heather, Chad and I went out to Inokashira (town where my grandma lives) to hang out. We just walked around the park in the rain, then sat in front of Inokashira Koen Station for a WHILE just talking, trying to get seats at Restaurant Sopra (awesome Italian place my grandma once took me) but failing cuz it's a tiny place... but then the girl recognized me from the ONE time I went there last year and she had me give her my number so she could call me when a table opened up, so we went back to sitting and chatting outside, then had a FANTASTIC dinner with FANSTASTIC conversation and some of the best dessert EVER! (ugh) :-D



Honestly, I needed that night. All week it's just GO GO GO GO GO and it gets really tiring. The weekend is "relaxation time" but when you're doing touristic stuff with the whole group, I just can't really be refreshed or rejuvenated. Quality time with two of my closest and dearest friends was what did it for me. God really blessed me through that time, of being able to share our spiritual triumphs and struggles from the week, and encouraging each other in our different roles, always centering on glorifying God with our work. I sometimes do miss home, because home is so much easier, and I miss the people back there because they're a comfort to me. But this life of living by the Spirit is so incredibly fulfilling that I wouldn't trade it for the world. God just spoils me and was able to give me a taste of home and comfort through this time with my friends. :)



To my family and friends at home, I miss you all, but I'm much more excited to be here, participating in the work God's doing here. I can't thank you enough for your encouragement and support. My mom told me the other day on the phone that we're being silly when we worry here, because we have people at home praying for us, so the enemy's got nothin on us! Hallelujah!

5 comments:

Jason said...

Hey Gen!

You don't know me, but I'll be going to the Tokyo B project this summer. I found your blog on a google search. Reading about everything God has been doing is truly astounding. I'm excited to see what God has in store for the Tokyo B project. I am also really encouraged to see AGO guys following God to the ends of the earth (I'm from the Kappa Chapter)! I'll be praying for you and your team.

God Bless,
Jason "Yogi" Iijima K123

Lindy Lois said...

dear gen,

#1 send heather back i miss her too much to go on with life

#2 NO MORE PICTURES OF DEAD FISH CLOSE TO PANCAKES. that is not allowed, i'm surprised blogger let you publish that. pancakes are no longer delicious, I'll start wondering if they're still 'raw' (or carry salmonella)

#3 yay for you and your team in tokyo!

Russell C said...

Hey Gen! Here's the link to my blog: www.russellstokyotrip.blogspot.com

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Your mom's right! You've got so many people here praying for you! I hope you can be comforted by that fact and continue to have comforting times with your teammates among all of God's work you are doing! (Which, from what I can tell, is so much!) But I must say I'm a little jealous of your convo with Steve, John, Patrice and Lance. I usually only get Steve in the deal. Haha! I miss you Gen! I can't wait for wonderful Gen and Alyssa times next year!